Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Get more information on the Veterans Benefits Banking Program
Get more information on the VA Anti-Harassment and Anti-Sexual Assault Policy

Life Insurance

SGLI Premium Payment Contact Information for Direct Pay and Debts

Payment of SGLI Premiums by Non-Pay Status Reserve and Guard Members:

Reserve and Guard Members who are drilling for points, but not pay, are covered by Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI). When their coverage is in effect depends on their status. For example, members who are assigned to a unit and scheduled to drill at least 12 times per year have 24/7 SGLI coverage.

Regardless of whether they’re covered full-time or part-time, if members are drilling for points and not pay, they’re still responsible for paying SGLI premiums. Each branch of service has different procedures for payment of SGLI premiums. It’s important for members to know how their branch expects to receive SGLI premium payments so they can set money aside to pay SGLI premiums, if necessary.

The information below explains how each branch of service expects to receive SGLI premium payments from members in a non-pay status. Use this information to help answer any basic questions from members about payment procedures and where to send payments. Members with more specific questions can call their branch directly at the numbers listed below or visit the VA's SGLI website.

Army Contact Information

Navy Contact Information

Air Force Contact Information

Marine Corps Contact Information

Coast Guard Contact Information 

SGLI Premium Debt Disputes:

If you have a SGLI premium debt that you want to dispute, you should contact the DCMO Call Center at 1-866-912-6488 or go to the DFAS Debt and Claims webpage for further information on how to explain your issue with the debt.   Ask them to review the SGLI debt to determine if it includes debts post date of separation.  You should also contact your local FSS or Finance Office to have them determine the validity of the debt and whether it occurred prior to or after your date of separation. 

  • If the local FSS/Finance determines the debt is INVALID, they should open a CMS case to DMCO, and attach a fully completed DD139 to cancel the SGLI debt.

Whether or not the debt is VALID or INVALID, you should establish a payment plan to make at least monthly minimum payments on the debt.  This will prevent the debt from being reported to credit bureaus, Treasury Offset Program, or private collection agencies which could impact your credit score.   If the minimum payment creates a hardship, you should call the DCMO Call Center and they will walk you through a financial hardship application for a reduced payment plan.  If the debt is later determined to be invalid, DCMO will refund all collections to you.

Debt Collection Process

Unpaid premiums are considered debts owed to the U.S. government. The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will attempt to collect outstanding debts for SGLI premiums from the final pay of separating members. Unpaid debts of service members who separate are referred to the Out of Service Debt department. DFAS reports delinquent debts to the major credit bureaus after 62 days of the initial debt notification letter. Furthermore, DFAS will forward delinquent debts to private collection agencies for assistance with collection. DFAS participates in the Treasury Offset Program, which authorizes the Department of Treasury to offset payments from the IRS, Office of Personnel Management, Social Security Administration, and civilian employers in order to collect delinquent debts. Visit our Out of Service Debt page for more information.

Coast Guard - Personnel and Pay Center

Phone:  For coverage status and to pay premiums by credit or debit card, call 785-339-3706.

Postal Mail:  To pay premiums by mail, send check or money order to:

Commanding Officer (FAR)
USCG Pay & Personnel Center
ATTN: SGLI/Cashier
444 SE Quincy Street
Topeka KS 66683-3591

Check or money order should be clearly marked “SGLI payment” and made out to U.S. Coast Guard.   Please include name and Employee ID number.