If you are a School Certifying Official (SCO) or college administrator assisting student Veterans pursuing education and training with VA benefits, this page provides information for:
● program approval,
● training for SCOs, and;
● access to VA systems.
The approval authority for GI Bill programs generally begins with the individual states via the State Approving Agency (SAA) of jurisdiction. Contact your SAA for approval of education and training programs in your respective state. They are the pathway into VA for a program's recognition and identification as being eligible for the payment of VA education benefits.
VA is responsible for approvals in some circumstances and for some states that do not have an SAA assigned. If you fall into one of these groups, your application will be reviewed by VA.
Applications available online for the jurisdictions in which VA is acting as the SAA:
● New Application for Approval – Accredited Institutions
● New Application for Approval – Non-Accredited Institutions
● Renewal or Program Amendment Application – Accredited Institutions
● Renewal or Program Amendment Application – Non-Accredited Institutions
See our Approval of On-the-Job Training Programs factsheet adressing the following requirements:
● wages, and
See our School Certifying Official webpage for:
● VA-Once Information
● reference material
Find events specific to your area, including:
● Pamphlets, brochures and factsheets
● September 17, 2018 - Letter from the Director of Education Service to School Certifying Officials regarding the installation of Academic Year 2018-19
● September 7, 2018 - Letter from the Director of Education Service to students about Monthly Housing Allowance payments pending VA system updates
● July 17, 2018 - Letter from the Director of Education Service to School Certifying Officials about submitting Post 9-11 GI Bill enrollment certifications for terms on or after August 1, 2018 and FAQs
● Letter to Institutions of Higher Learning regarding Student Outcome Measures (April 2015)
● VA's Overview of the GI Bill Feedback System with CY 2014 Complaint Data
● "32-star" letter from the Joint Chiefs of Staff urging service members to continue serving their nation and community after separation.
● Letter from the Director of Education Service to School Certifying Officials about certifying tuition and fees for the Choice Act of 2014
● Letter from the VA Under Secretary of Benefits to Higher Education Executives for Summer 2014
● 8 Keys to Veterans' Success - A voluntary initiative through the Departments of Veterans Affairs & Education. They highlight specific ways that colleges and universities can support Veterans as they pursue education & employment goals.