National Testing Program
Advancing your education often requires you to take costly national tests. Students can be reimbursed all required (mandatory) fees charged for national admission tests, national tests for college credit, and national tests that evaluate prior learning and knowledge and provide an opportunity for credit at an institution of higher learning (IHL).
Type of Assistance
The following tests are approved for reimbursement:
- SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
- LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
- AP (Advanced Placement Exam)
- CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
- ACT (American College Testing Program)
- DAT (Dental Admissions Test)
- MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
- MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test)
- OAT (Optometry Admissions Testing)
- PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
- ECE (Excelsior College Examinations)
- PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) testing through Learningcounts.org
- TECEP (Thomas Edison College Examination Program)
Get more information or see if a test is approved.
Although VA will reimburse a Veteran for required test fees, some fees connected to the testing process are not covered. The following test fees may be covered:
- Registration fees
- Fees for specialized tests
- Administrative fees
The following fees are not covered by VA:
- Fees to take pre-tests (such as Kaplan tests)
- Fees to receive scores quickly
- Other costs or fees for optional items which are not required to take an approved test
You do not normally have to submit a receipt or proof of payment for the test. However, in these situations, proof of payment is necessary: DSST tests and in certain situations related to CLEP, MAT, and PCAT tests. Mail the documentation to the regional office that handles your claim or use the Ask a Question section of our website to send us the information required and attach copies of any required documents.
Follow these steps to apply:
- First apply for GI Bill benefits.
- Complete a VA Form 22-0810 (Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee).
How Is Your Entitlement Charged?
For information on how your GI Bill entitlement will be charged for taking a Licensing & Certification Test please click here.
Learn how your GI Bill entitlement will be charged for taking a National Test benefit.