National Call to Service Program
This National Call to Service Incentive program is a benefit provided to those who perform a period of national service. It is a Department of Defense program that is administered by VA.
Type of Assistance
Participants who elect to receive an educational assistance incentive are not entitled to additional assistance under Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 benefits unless the participant completes the service requirements necessary to establish eligibility.┬á An individual who receives benefits under this program who also establishes eligibility under Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 will have those entitlements reduced accordingly. Get more information in the pamphlet.
Available Benefit and Eligibility
Participants can choose from the following incentives:
- Cash bonus of $5,000
- Repayment of a qualifying student loan not to exceed $18,000
- Entitlement to allowance equal to the three-year monthly Montgomery GI Bill Active-Duty rate for 12 months
- Entitlement to allowance equal to 50 percent of the less than three-year monthly Montgomery GI Bill Active-Duty rate for 36 months
- Coordination with Montgomery GI Bill Benefits
There is a three-tiered service requirement to qualify for incentives under the National Call to Service program:
- First, after completion of initial entry training, individuals must serve on active duty in a military occupational specialty designated by the Secretary of Defense for a period of 15 months.
- After this, and without a break in service, these individuals must serve either an additional period of active duty as determined by the Secretary of Defense, or a period of 24 months in an active status in the Selected Reserve.
- After completion of this period of service, and without a break in service, the remaining period of obligated service specified in the agreement will be served as follows:
- On active duty in the armed forces
- In the Selected Reserve
- In the Individual Ready Reserve
- In AmeriCorps, or another domestic national service program jointly designated by the Secretary of Defense and the head of such a program
- Any combination of the service referred to above may also be approved by the Secretary of the military department concerned pursuant to regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense and specified in the agreement.