Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Get more information on the Veterans Benefits Banking Program
Get more information on the VA Anti-Harassment and Anti-Sexual Assault Policy

Education and Training

Flight Training

VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to VA.

Type of Assistance

Flight training is available for the following and other types of qualifications:

  • Rotary wing
  • B747-400
  • Dual engine
  • Flight engineer

Available Benefits and Eligibility

Participation requirements are the same for all GI Bill programs, but the payment amount varies depending on the GI Bill program and flight school.

Payment Amounts Under the Montgomery GI Bill
If you are training under the Montgomery GI Bill, we will reimburse you for 60 percent of the approved charges. View payment information by benefit program.

Payment Amounts Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in:

  • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training and receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend.
  • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private institution of higher education, you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (see annual maximum amount) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend. See if your school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which may apply for those enrolled in degree programs.
  • If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of these two costs in effect the day you began training in your flight course
    1. Full cost of training
    2. Annual maximum amount of training (see annual maximum amount)

Note: The annual maximum amount of training applies to all vocational flight programs (enrollments) that begin during that academic year, regardless of the academic year in which the classes or enrollments are completed. You will not receive a housing allowance or the books-and-supplies stipend during vocational flight training.

For example, you're enrolled in a dual-engine certification course that costs $19,000 on November 1, 2019. You can receive a maximum of $13,986.72 for that course and any other flight training programs leading to your dual-engine certification or other certificationthat begin before August 1, 2020. Additional flight training courses that begin on or after August 1, 2020, are subject to a new annual limit (see annual maximum amount).

Remember, these amounts could be further limited by your eligibility percentage.

Other Factors to Consider

This type of assistance is not available under the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program.

AskVA link

How to Verify Chapter 33 (Post-9/11) Enrollment

Don’t miss out on your MHA/kicker payments! Learn more about verifying your enrollment.

Verify CH 30 and CH 1606 School Attendance

Keep receiving education and training benefits from VA by verifying your attendance.

Forever GI Bill (Colmery Act) Information