Overseas Intake Sites
There are two overseas intake sites that allow Service members to file Benefits Delivery at Discharge claims: Landstuhl, Germany and Yongsan, Korea. In addition, a “Fly-in” claim process is offered for those in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
To have your VA disability exam completed at an Overseas Intake Site, you must:
- File your claim 90 to 180 days before your known discharge date.
- Have a copy of your service treatment records for the most recent period of service.
- Be available for the exam through 45 days from the date your claim was submitted.
- Have enough time in-country to complete the medical exam process (which may involve multiple specialty clinics).
You can contact the Benefits Delivery at Discharge office in Landstuhl:
- By email at GermanyBDD.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person. The office is located at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in BLDG 3724. The office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
You do not need to have an appointment when visiting or submitting your claim to the Benefits Delivery at Discharge office.
You can contact the Benefits Delivery at Discharge office in Yongsan:
- Via telephone at DSN 738-5121 or commercial 02-7918-5121.
- In person. The office is located in BLDG 4037 on Yongsan South Post, next door to the 1st Replacement Company (1RC). The office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- VA staff will be available at the Osan Air Base on the third Thursday of each month from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Contact the Airman Family and Readiness Center at DSN 784-5440 for location information.
Europe, Africa, and the Middle East
If you are stationed outside of the Kaiserslautern Military Community, you can participate in the BDD program through the “Fly-in” claim process, which allows you to submit applications by fax or email before your in-person appointment.
Here’s what you need to do to participate in the Fly-in claim process:
- Contact the Landstuhl BDD office by phone or email to request information and any needed forms.
- After you complete and return the application, you will be contacted by email from a BDD officer to schedule an examination in Germany, or closer to your duty station, if possible.
- When you report for your exam, you must bring a copy of your Service Treatment Records. Your service records will be submitted to VA and not returned to you.
Fully Developed Claim Program
Service members with 89 days to 1 day remaining on active duty do not meet the requirements to file a Benefits Delivery at Discharge claim. You can file your claim prior to discharge under the Fully Developed Claim program, the standard VA claims process, or any other qualifying VA claims process. We encourage you to work with an accredited representative who can assist you with the claims process.