Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Get more information on the Veterans Benefits Banking Program
Get more information on the VA Anti-Harassment and Anti-Sexual Assault Policy

Education and Training

Restoration of Benefits After School Closure or if a School is Disapproved for GI Bill Benefits

If your school or program has closed or been disapproved due to a change in law or VA regulations, you may be eligible for partial or full restoration of your education benefits.

When will my entitlement be restored?

If you apply for and are found eligible for restoration of entitlement because your school closed or your program of education was disapproved while you were attending school and using GI Bill benefits, your entitlement is restored immediately.

To qualify for expanded restoration for the entire program of education under 38 USC § 3699(c)(2), you must certify on VA Form 22-0989 that you have transferred fewer than 12 credit hours from your program that closed or was disapproved due to a change in law or VA policy. You do this by completing questions 9A-D and answering “No” to question 9D.

Public Law 117-297, Veterans Eligible to Transfer Schools (VETS) Credit Act, has also made it easier to apply for restoration of entitlement.  For any covered closure or disapproval after December 27, 2022, you do not need to enroll in a new school prior to applying for restoration of benefits. If you have not yet enrolled in a new program and therefore do not yet know whether you will or will not get 12 or more credits transferred, you simply answer “No” to question 9A on VA Form 22-0989. VA will consider this as your certification that your new school has not granted you 12 or more credit hours for course(s) taken from the closed/disapproved school. You do not have to complete questions 9B, 9C, or 9D.

If you certify that you have transferred fewer than 12 credit hours from your closed or disapproved program (either by answering “No” to question 9A or “Yes” to question 9A but “No” to question 9D), you are also acknowledging that if you ultimately are transferred 12 or more credit hours from your program that closed or was disapproved due to a change in law or VA policy, VA will rescind (revoke) any restored entitlement previously restored based on that closure or disapproval.  

I'm using the Post-9/11 GI Bill, will I still get my monthly housing allowance?

MHA will be payable until the end of the term, quarter, or semester that you attended during the program or school permanent closure; or 120 days after the school or program ends (whichever is sooner). There is no entitlement charge for MHA payments made during this time period.

What happens if my school is closed temporarily due to COVID-19?

If your school is temporarily closed, VA will continue to pay your benefits through the end of the term or 28 days, whichever is sooner.

* NOTE: The special COVID-19 provisions that allowed VA to continue benefits payments if your school was temporarily closed due to COVID-19 expired on June 1, 2022.

Applying for Restoration of Entitlement

If you believe you meet the requirements outlined above – complete the Education Benefit Entitlement Restoration Request Due to School Closure or Withdrawal form.

Submit that form online though Ask VA found on the VA Contact Us page or via mail to:

Muskogee Regional Processing Office
P.O.Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888


If you have any additional questions, contact the Education Service Call Center at 888-442-4551. The Call Center is open from 7:00am – 6:00pm Central Time.