Servicemembers' and Veterans' Group - Life Insurance Handbook
a. Determinations by VA are conclusive under the policy with respect to the following:
(1) The status of any person as a member as defined in chapter 1, or as a Veteran and whether or not a person is insured for SGLI or VGLI at any point of time.
(2) The fact and date of a member's separation or release from active duty or active duty for training.
(3) The fact, date, and hours of a member's performance of inactive duty for training.
(4) Whether a member eligible for part-time coverage suffered disability or death while on active duty, active duty for training or inactive duty training or while proceeding directly to or returning directly from such duty so as to be insured at death or for 120 days after the date of the termination of such duty.
(5) The fact and dates with respect to a member's absence without leave; confinement by civil authorities under a sentence adjudged by a civil court; or confinement by military authorities under a court-martial sentence involving total forfeiture of pay and allowances.
(6) The enforcement of the provisions as set forth in paragraph 1.10 with respect to any member or Veteran.
(7) Whether an individual is a member of or is eligible for assignment to the Individual Ready Reserve or the Inactive National Guard.
b. Questions involving the above as well as those involving coverage of classes of members and other questions concerning SGLI and VGLI are properly referred to:
Assistant Director for Insurance (29)
Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office & Insurance Center
P. O. Box 8079
Philadelphia, PA 19101
a. The law provides an Advisory Council consisting of the Secretary of the Treasury as Chairperson, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Commerce, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget as members.
b. The Council meets at the call of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs once a year, or more often, to review the SGLI and VGLI programs and to advise the Secretary on matters of policy concerning both programs.