Inside Veterans Benefits
Our Response to COVID-19
We appreciate your patience as we continue to work with you during this time of crisis.
Read VBA's response »
In-Person Interview by Appointment Only
Visitors seeking assistance from the Portland Regional Office Public Contact Team are encouraged to schedule a virtual or in-person appointment on the Visitor Engagement Reporting Application (VERA).
Please go toVERA - Home (force.com)
or to schedule an appointment. You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment.
Based on the limited space available, and the lack of any waiting area, we are currently unable to assist walk-in visitors without appointments.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors (VRCs) will also not be available for in-person meetings at this time. Veterans should contact their VRCs directly by phone or e-mail.
Our customers are reminded that they can also reach VBA:
How to Make an In-Person Appointment at the Portland VA Regional Office
- 1. Click on this link: VERA - Home (force.com)
- 2. Then click on the brown “Schedule In-Person Appointment” button.
- 3. Next page: put in your area code and hit Search - it will show the card/box for the Portland Regional Office . Click on that card.
- 4. Next page: fill in your name, phone number, email address and any special notes or requests. Then hit the Next button.
- 5. Click on the options you want (like “File a claim” for example), then hit Next again.
- 6. Then choose a date, click Next, then choose a time, hit Next, review your selections to make sure everything’s right, and finalize your appointment by hitting Next again.
Instructions for Setting-Up Your VA.gov Account
- 1. Click on this link to go to va.gov: https://www.va.gov/.
- 2. Click on the “Sign in” button in the upper-right hand corner of the screen, then.
- 3. Click on the Create an ID.me account button.
- This will take you to the ID.me website. You have to create an account in ID.me first, for verification purposes.
- Fill in your email address, then make up a password and write it down so you have a copy. Then click on the blue “Create an ID.me account.” It will send you back an email with a link to confirm.
- Once you have created your ID.me account, go back to va.gov
- 4. Then use your ID.me account name and password to create and sign in to your Va.gov account.
If there is a problem, here is the link to the ID.me customer service: https://help.id.me/hc/en-us
Are you an Alaska Native Vietnam-era Veteran?
You may be entitled to a Native allotment selection, if you are an Alaska Native Vietnam Veteran who served between 1964 and 1971, AND have not received a Native allotment, OR are an heir to someone who meets the above criteria. For more information, visit the Bureau of Land Management web site or read this information..
Veterans Rapid Retraining Assistance Program (VRRAP)
On March 11, 2021, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) launched VRRAP for Veterans who have lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Veterans participating in the VRRAP can receive education and training for high-demand occupations, which is determined by the Commissioner of Labor Statistics. Veterans will receive up to 12 months of tuition and fees and a monthly housing allowance based on Post-9/11 GI Bill rates. To learn more about VRRAP and how to apply for the program, Veterans can visit www.va.gov. Veterans can also contact the Education Call Center at 888-442-4551 between 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST, Monday-Friday to speak with a VA education respresentative.
External Link Disclaimer: This page contains links that will take you outside the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of those linked websites.