Yellow Ribbon Program
The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay you:
- all resident tuition & fees for a public school
- the lower of the actual tuition & fees or the national maximum per academic year for a private school
Your actual tuition & fees costs may exceed these amounts if you are attending a private school or are attending a public school as a nonresident student.
Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement.
Degree-granting institutions of higher learning participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. These institutions voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA and choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA matches that amount and issues payments directly to the institution.
Available Benefits and Eligibility
To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
- Those who served 36 months (may be aggregate) on active duty
- Purple Heart recipients with an honorable discharge and any amount of service
- Those discharged after 60 days with a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
- Children using transferred benefits
- Children using transferred benefits if their servicemember transferor is at the 100 percent level (36 months served)
- Effective August 1, 2022, servicemembers at the 100 percent level and transferee spouses whose transferor is at the 100 percent level
- Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
- Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement
- Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information
You are not eligible if:
- You are an active duty Servicemembers or their spouse.
How Will I Know If My School Is Participating In The Yellow Ribbon Program?